Running a business on the road, staying productive while you travel, keeping in touch with family and friends, and ensuring your privacy and your data are safe and secure, all require a ton of time and effort to manage.
Luckily, we have you covered with some of the best apps, sites and online tools to take the guesswork out of running your business and life remotely.
- Coworker – This website allows you to find, book and review coworking & coliving spaces all over the world.
- Google Maps – Google Maps is a route planning platform which allows you to find walking, driving, biking and various public transportation methods in cities worldwide. You can also see street views in larger cities as well as real-time traffic conditions.
- Sharedesk – This site allows you to find a nice desk or meeting room to work from while you travel. It inventories many options so you can pick the best one that suits your needs.
- Workfrom – Workfrom helps you to find the best cafe’s, libraries, and coworking spaces to work remotely. These spaces are rated by fellow remote workers giving you important information such as WiFi speeds and availability of power outlets.
- Get Croissant – This platform allows you to make one payment and gain access to hundreds of coworking spaces worldwide.
Tasks & Productivity
- Doist – Doist is a company obsessed about being more productive but in a calm and relaxed way. They are a productivity solutions company who have a team of remote workers from all over the world.
- Google Tasks – Google Tasks allows you to capture and organize all of your tasks in one place. It also integrates with Gmail and Google Calendar providing you with additional convenience.
- Trello – This is a collaboration and organization tool allowing you to place your projects into boards similar to Post-It Notes. It’s a simple and robust way to easily see all of your important projects, tasks, & lists in one convenient platform.
- Todoist – Todoist is free task management software which can be used to manage small or large projects either for yourself individually or throughout your entire team. The premium program offers more in-depth functionality when you’re ready to take your organization and productivity to another level.
- Wunderlist – Wunderlist is another task management and organization platform which you can use to plan a holiday, store and share your shopping list and collaborate with others to stay on track. It’s also available on numerous platforms allowing you to stay up to date, no matter where you are.
- Momentum – Momentum helps you prioritize tasks on your to-do list. You can integrate Momentum with Google Tasks, Trello, Wunderlist, and Todoist.
- Toggl – Toggl helps you stay productive and capture time spent on projects. It also provides reminders to ensure you’ve started and stopped the timer when needed and has a nice reporting feature allowing you to see an overview of time spent on different projects.
- Clockify – Clockify is a powerful and free time tracking application which allows you and your team to keep track of time spent on projects with the added ability to create appealing timesheet reports.
- Harvest – Harvest allows you to increase efficiency by tracking time spent on projects, in meetings, of anywhere else time may be going. It also allows you to track expenses and create online invoices making it easier to get paid on time.
Storing and Sharing Files
- Google Drive – This is a file storage and synchronization platform which allows you to store various file types on Google’s servers and synchronize them across devices and share them with others. It also integrates well with Google’s office suite allowing you to create and edit documents within your browser and even access and edit them while offline.
- Dropbox – Dropbox is a file storage and sharing platform allowing you to easily backup your important files or your entire drive, and share data with others.
- iCloud – This is Apple’s version of cloud-storage allowing you to ensure all of your documents, photos, notes, and other important files are stored in the cloud and easily accessible across all of your devices.
- Box – Box is used my many Fortune 500 companies to store, share and backup documents to their secure cloud. It also allows you to collaborate effectively and edit files online.
- We Transfer – We Transfer is a cloud-based platform allowing you to store and share files online. They specialize in the transfer of large files.
Social Media Managers
- Hootsuite – Hootsuite allows you to manage all of your social media accounts in one place and enables you to schedule your updates and track performance all from one central platform.
- Buffer – This application allows you to automate your posts across various social media platforms and view the performance of each post.
- Later – Later is a marketing and automation tool mainly designed for Instagram but it also works with other social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter.
Money Transfers & Payment Portals
- Transferwise – Transferwise is an online money transfer service allowing you to transfer money between countries for a fraction of the cost of what regular banks charge.
- Revolut – This is a modern online bank suited for the digital age. It allows you to exchange currency and even cryptocurrency with no or very low fees. They also offer ATM withdrawals in over 120 currencies and you can send close to 30 different currencies directly from their mobile app.
- Currencyfair – Currencyfair is a peer-to-peer currency exchange system allowing you to exchange almost 20 different currencies at a fraction of the cost.
- Paypal – Paypal is a global online payment processing system which enables you to pay, send money and accept payments online.
- Stripe – This is another online payment processor and a growing competitor to Paypal. It enables you to accept credit card payments and seamlessly integrate online and mobile payment processing into your business.
- Venmo – Venmo is a mobile digital wallet allowing you to exchange money with your friends and easily share bills such as your cab fare, restaurant tab, grocery bill or rent payment.
- Skrill – This is an e-wallet allowing you to easily send and receive international money transfers and freely make payments to accepting retailers.
- Payoneer – Payoneer is an international payment platform which enables businesses and professionals to easily exchange money across multiple countries and currencies.
- Upwork – Upwork is an online platform connecting freelancers and agencies together to ensure it’s easy to find qualified talent for all of your project needs. Their platform allows you to open a project, accept bids or make offers. It also creates a private space for you to interact with your chosen professional until the project is delivered and the payment is processed.
- Freelancer – This is an online marketplace where employers and contract workers come together to work on projects from many different industries.
- Fiverr – Fiverr is a website where you can sell your products and services usually for lower budget opportunities such as logo design, copywriting, etc.
Chatting & Staying In Touch
- Slack – Slack is a robust collaboration software allowing your teams and departments to work together in an efficient and organized way.
- WhatsApp – This is a free cross-platform VOIP messaging solution allowing you to text and talk to your friends and family no matter what type of device they use, and without using minutes or data from your cell as long as you’re connected to WiFi.
- Flock – Flock is a collaboration tool bringing all of your communication and productivity tools together under one platform allowing your team to stay organized and communicate more effectively.
- Telegram – This is an open source cloud-based messenger program allowing you to swiftly and securely communicate across all platforms.
- Signal – Signal is a highly secure open-source communication software which allows you to send messages, voice memos, files or conduct voice or video calls all without SMS or MMS fees.
Voice Over IP Calling & Video Conferencing
- Zoom – Zoom is an online video conference software allowing you to conduct group voice or video meetings, webinars, and collaborate on projects remotely.
- Skype – Skype allows you to communicate with your friends, family or clients via voice, video and text across multiple platforms such as smartphones, tablets or pc’s.
- Google Hangouts – This is Google’s communication platform allowing you to send messages, conduct voice and video calls and group meetings.
VPN (A VPN is a great business travel tool for online security, and it will allow you to browse the internet from another location).
- Expressvpn – A trusted VPN provider allowing you to mask your IP address, virtually connect from numerous countries and protect your privacy online.
- Tunnelbear – This is another VPN service which has been purchased by McAfee and is known for publicly releasing their independent security audits.
- Nordvpn – This is a top rated VPN service allowing you to browse the web anonymously and protects your privacy and the information you share online.
- Purevpn – PureVPN is known for its wide array of servers across 140+ countries. It also boasts high speeds, military-level encryption and port forwarding.
- Speedify – This is one of the only VPN services that allows you to combine your WiFi and cellular signals to create a faster and more robust internet connection.
Tal Gur is a world traveler and personal development enthusiast. An adventurer at heart, after trading his daily grind for a life of his own daring design, Tal spent a decade pursuing 100 major life goals around the globe. His journey continues as a location-independent blogger, lifestyle entrepreneur, and coach. Tal’s published two books: One Year to Freedom, a 1-Year Roadmap to Living Life on Your Own Terms; and, his most recent book and bestseller, The Art of Fully Living – 1 Man, 10 Years, 100 Life Goals Around the World.